I absolutely love salsa verde. Don’t you? I do! There’s just something about the color and the texture that I can’t pass up.
I’ve made this salsa three different ways and the recipe I’m posting today is my favorite. Each time I’ve made salsa verde I always toss all the ingredients into the blender because I like the consistency better than if I would just chop everything up by hand, at least for salsa verde I do.
I’ve boiled the tomatillos for a few minutes before blending them with the other ingredients. I’ve kept all the ingredients raw and that works as well. My favorite way though, is to roast the tomatillos, onions and jalapenos. Roasting before blending everything together results in the perfect salsa verde for my tastebuds.
It’s super easy and comes together quick and can absolutely be made ahead of time. I would recommend making it ahead of time actually so the salsa has time to chill in the refrigerator, because warm salsa verde doesn’t taste all that good.
Here’s how I make it.
Start by peeling the shells off the tomatillos and wash them really well, they tend to be quite sticky. Toss them onto a baking sheet.
Quarter three small onions, skins removed and add them to the baking sheet.
Slice a jalapeno in half, and decide whether or not you want to keep or remove the seeds . I always leave the seeds and sometimes I use two or three jalapenos. Add them to the baking sheet.
Drizzle the tomatillos, onions and jalapeno with a little olive oil and place them in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Half way thru I like to turn the tomatillos, onions and jalapeno over and then let them finish roasting.
After the 10 minutes is up, let the veggies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
You need two garlic cloves, about 1 cup of cilantro, salt, cumin and lime juice.
Toss the roasted veggies into a blender and give it a quick pulse just to get things started. Add in the cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and the juice of one lime. If you don’t have a juicy lime, add the juice of another. Drizzle in a little olive oil at the very end.
That’s all there is to it.
- 8 tomatillos
- 3 small onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 3-5 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove the shells from the tomatillos and wash them really well. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Quarter the onions and add them to the baking sheet.
- Slice a jalapeno in half and add that to the baking sheet as well.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast the veggies in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, rotating half way through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place the roasted veggies into a blender a pulse a few times.
- Add to the blender, the garlic, salt, cumin, cilantro and lime juice and blend until everything is combined.
- Drizzle 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil in to the blender and blend until everything just comes together.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.