I’m keeping with the orange and chocolate theme and sharing another sweet treat with that flavor combination. If you like these you should also try my orange chocolate scones. They are super yummy. I was thinking of making sugar cookies again because well, hey it’s already been a month and a half since I made them last and plus everyone loves them, especially my mom. Hi mom! I always make my no fail no chill roll out sugar cookies.
So I’m grabbing the ingredients I need to make them and I wanted to use the new heart shaped cookie cutter I just bought and I thought to myself, why couldn’t I make these chocolate? It’s almost Valentines Day and chocolate and Valentines Day go hand in hand.
I’ve never made chocolate sugar cookies before, so I thought what the heck, lets give it a go. I’ve already had one “didn’t turn out so good” baking experience this week, so I figured I wasn’t due for another one so soon. They turned out delicious! I will tell you though that these ones do require you to chill the dough. I know, I know I hate doing that too, but it’s well worth it. My husband ate six last night, see told you they were worth it!
I didn’t take these as far as I usually do when I make sugar cookies as far as decorating, well because my little guy woke up from his nap and I didn’t feel like trying to decorate cookies with him hanging on to my leg. I know you’ve all been there before too. I chose to drizzle my cookies with melted white chocolate and now that I’ve had a few, I think the chocolate orange combination works better with just the white chocolate than they would with all the frosting anyway.
I’m sure you have all the ingredients you need to make theses cookies in your pantry right now except for maybe the ornage extract.
Here’s your list:
Butter – granulated sugar – brown sugar – egg – vanilla extract – orange extract – all-purpose flour – cocoa powder – baking powder – salt – white chocolate
Start by creaming together the butter and sugars.
Add in the egg and extracts.
Mix in the flour mixture (flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt)
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a hour.
Roll out onto a surface dusted with cocoa powder to about 1/4 inch thick.
Bake at 350 for 8-11 minutes.
Drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl, mix to combine and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add in the egg and extracts.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll the dough on a surface lightly dusted with cocoa powder.
- Roll to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the cut-out dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-11 minutes.
- Let cool for a minute before transferring to a wire wrack.
- Drizzle the cookies with melted white chocolate