So in my last post quick and easy barbecue sauce, I talked about how the sun is shinning and the weather is getting warmer, yeah well then it snowed. Sometimes spring can just be cruel. Irregardless of the fact that there may be snow in my flower beds I’m still gearing up for the warmer weather. I’m not joking about the snow in my flower beds either. My lilies are almost a foot tall already and are dusted with snow.
I love ice cream, and was really craving a bowl so that’s what we’re making today. This strawberry ice cream is super good. You can do this with other berries as well, don’t limit this recipe to just strawberry. I made strawberry because I had a ton of them in my refrigerator, because yes I am guilty of buying a ton of any kind of berry when they are on sale, and then don’t know what to do with them because we can never eat them fast enough. Hey – it’s hard to pass up strawberris for $0.99 a pound!
For this recipe you will need an ice cream machine. Not every machine is the same so you will need to follow the instructions for yours as far as how long the ice cream will need to be churned.
The ingredients are pretty simple for this as well. Here’s your shopping list:
Fresh strawberries – whole milk – heavy cream – granulated sugar – vanilla extract – salt
Step number one is to prepare the strawberries. Wash and remove the stems and leaves. You can either chop the strawberries to your desired size or place them in a blender. I like to put mine into the blender and blend until the strawberries are pretty much completely pureed. That’s just the consistency and texture I like for strawberry ice cream, but the choice is yours.
Next you need to whisk the milk and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the salt, heavy cream and the vanilla. Mix in the strawberries and any juices remaining in the bowl.
The next step is to just put the mixture into your machine and let the machine do it’s magic.
Then in a short amount of time you’ve got homemade ice cream. I like to package mine up and freeze it for a few hours before serving, so I have a firmer ice cream.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Wash and remove the stems from the strawberries. Either chop with a knife or place the strawberries into a blender and chop or blend until desired size of strawberry chunks is achieved. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt.
- Mix in prepared strawberries and any juices left in the bowl.
- Following the directions on your ice cream machine, pour the mixture into the vessel and let the machine go for the recommended time for your machine.
- Freeze in an airtight container for a few hours for a firmer texture.