Another cold and rainy day. More soup for dinner. I know I’ve said it before, but nothing beats a hot bowl of soup on a cold rainy day. Nothing. It’s even better because my husband loves it as much as I do.
I was racking my brain trying to think of a different soup to make today, because, well chicken noodle is getting quite boring. Don’t get me wrong I love chicken noodle, but it’s time to add a little spice to life and mix it up once and a while.
My take on minestrone soup is so quick to put together, like a lot of my other meals, and ingredients can be so easily substituted in this recipe. You can change out the veggies, beans and spices and make it your own.
Here’s what I did.
Dice up one large onion, two medium carrots and one celery stalk and get them sautéing in a large dutch oven in a little bit of olive oil.
After about ten minutes, add in the garlic and sauté for another two minutes. Add the crushed and diced tomatoes, and stock. I used chicken but you can absolutely use vegetable stock and make this a vegetarian friendly dish.
Season with oregano, crushed rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.
Let the soup simmer for ten minutes and then stir in the frozen kale, frozen spinach, beans and frozen corn.
Let the soup warm through and serve over your pasta of choice.
For added flavor sprinkle parmesan cheese over the soup.
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 2 medium carrots, small dice
- 1 celery stalk, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 - 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen kale
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed rosemary
- salt and pepper
- cooked pasta
- parmesan cheese
- Sauté onion, carrots and celery in a little olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat for ten minutes.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Season with the oregano and rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and let simmer for ten minutes.
- Add in the beans, frozen corn, frozen kale and frozen spinach and let the soup warm through.
- Serve the soup over your favorite pasta and top with parmesan cheese.
- Use vegetable stock to make this a vegetarian friendly dish.
- Crush the oregano and rosemary in your hands before adding it to the pot.