Yeah yeah yeah I know. My last post was talking about making healthier choices and eating better foods and now I’m posting about Salted Caramel Chocolate Chewies. I didn’t fall off the wagon don’t worry, I just think we all deserve a treat sometimes! Oh and by the way, I gave about 2/3 of these away. See so it’s not that bad!
These cookies, oh these cookies, are so gooey, and chewie, and chocolatey and caramely – that’s a word right? Well it is in my book. I had to hold myself back from eating too many of these. I just love anything with caramel.
Here’s the low down on ingredients.
Flour (all-purpose and whole-wheat) – cocoa powder – baking soda – baking powder – salt – butter (softened) – sugar (granulated and brown) – eggs – vanilla – caramel filled chocolate candies – caramels* – heavy cream – sea salt (coarse or flaked)
*The caramels are the ones that sometimes are in the baking aisle or the candy aisle depending on what grocery store you shop at. They either come individually wrapped or now they come in one big bag and they are little balls of caramel about the size of peas. I use the little balls of caramel, they melt faster.
Any who, this is no different from your typical cookie baking experiences.
Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, mix and set aside. Cream the butter and sugars, add the eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture.
Now at this point you need to make a bunch of balls of dough – 36 to be exact. I used a 1-1/2 T cookie scoop to make mine. After you roll a ball of dough, you want to press a caramel filled chocolate candy in the center and reroll the dough so the candy is covered.
Pop them all on a parchment line baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. You are going to want to let these cool on the baking sheet for a good 10 minutes before you transfer them to wire a rack. Trust me. If you don’t it makes a mess.
When you take them out of the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack, they look like this. Kind of boring I know. It just looks like a chocolate cookie.
Well how about now? Chocolate cookies drizzled with caramel. What could be better? For real are you asking me? I’ll show you.
TaDa! Oh my goodness, this is too much. Seat salt! How amazing do these look now? The sea salt just takes it over the edge.
Look at that gooey caramel inside the cookie!
Try these, you’ll love them. Trust me!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 36 caramel filled chocolate candies
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 cup caramels or about 14 individually wrapped caramels
- Coarse or flaked sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheets with parchment paper/
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, stir and set aside.
- With a electric mixer cream together the butter and sugars. Once combined add in the eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined
- Using a 1-1/2 tbsp. cookie scoop, make 36 balls of dough.
- Press a caramel filled chocolate candy into each ball of dough, and reroll to cover the candy.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Melt the caramels and heavy cream in a sauce pan over low heat until just melted. Drizzle over cookies and sprinkle with coarse or flaked sea salt.