Chocolate Dark Chocolate Chip M&M Cookie Bars, now that’s a mouth full! What you need is a mouth full of these cookie bars! I love anything chocolate and when you add some M&Ms to the mix I’m in love. Gooey, chocolatey, soft, moist, tender, irresistible the list can go on, but that’s what these cookies are. My husband thought they were brownies but nope they are cookies. I just like to under bake them by a minute or two so they stay super moist and gooey on the inside. That’s the way I like my cookies!
Making cookies in a bar form is a nice change to the regular old scoop cookie. I love making them this way. You don’t have to worry about the cookies spreading too much and you only have to put one tray in the oven. Perfect cookie when it’s a thousand degrees outside. Oven is only on for twenty minutes! Every time I bake a cookie into a bar instead of a round cookie they come out perfect. I don’t know what it is but I’m not going to complain!
My little guy was playing with his trucks when I was making these chocolate dark chocolate chip M&M cookie bars, but of course as soon as that mixer turns on he knows mommy is baking something. He ran into the kitchen and saw the bag of M&Ms and I knew I was doomed if I didn’t give him just a few. You see, just this once I took a cupcake liner and put a few M&Ms inside when I was baking who knows what and gave them to my little guy just as a little treat. He doesn’t get very many sweets so every now and then I like to give him a little something. Anyway ever since I gave him the cupcake liner with those M&MS it never fails that when he realizes I’m baking he runs into the kitchen, grabs a cupcake liner, because yes he knows where they are, and stands there with his big gorgeous eyes starring at me and says “mom eat.” How can I possibly say no to that?!
These chocolate dark chocolate chip M&M cookies are everything you want in a bar. Quick, delicious, gooey, chocolatey and chewy from all the brown sugar. These are baked in a 13 x 9 pan so they do make the perfect treat to bring to a party, and they only take 17 minutes in the oven. It makes quite a few, and you can decide how big or small to cut the bars.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan, or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until just combined. Slowly beat in the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula stir in the dark chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the M&Ms.
- Press the mixture in to the prepared pan making sure the batter is in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of M&Ms onto the top of the cookie bar batter and press down slightly to make sure the M&Ms will stick to the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes until the top of the bars looks dry. The cookie bars should feel slightly gooey to a light touch.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars.