It’s been a crazy past few weeks over at my house since we brought home our little girl. I’m so glad that I had prepared several meals a few weeks before she was born and had them stashed away in the freezer. It made dinner much easier those first few days.
Now that we are headed back in the right direction and finding out a new routine that works for us with two kids now, I’ve been loving my one pot dinners and dinners that I can get thrown together in half hour even more than I ever have. Guess what? This cajun chicken pasta with peppers and broccoli is both, a one pot thirty minute dinner! Now that is a winner!
This cajun chicken pasta with peppers and broccoli is the perfect meal to get on the table in half an hour. I can usually manage to keep my little guy occupied and sometimes get my little girl to fall asleep long enough to get dinner on the table.
You can easily adjust the spice level of this pasta dish to match your families tastebuds. Just add more or less cajun seasoning. You’ll want to start off with just a little to begin with anyway because not all cajun seasonings are created equal. Have you ever looked at how many different brands of cajun seasonings are sitting on the shelf at your grocery store? A lot more than you probably think! So don’t be all macho right away and add in 2 tablespoons because your cajun seasoning may be spicer than the one I used to make my dinner. I don’t have a favorite, if you were wondering. I like to experiment with different brands.
This meal is so quick and easy and gives a nice veggie boost to your families diet. We love pasta in my house, so I always try to add lots of vegetables and protein so we aren’t just eating carbs. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll never pass up a big bowl of fehttuchini alfredo with a side of garlic bread, but I don’t need to eat like that everyday!
You don’t have to limit the veggies to just broccoli and peppers. The onions are a must because well everything is better with sautéed onions, and you can’t leave off the tomatoes because well you just can’t. The fresh tomatoes just give a nice finish to the dish and I think they are a must!
Remember this is a one pot thirty minute dinner, so here’s a tip for you. Dice the chicken up small. The smaller the pieces of chicken the faster they will cook.
- 1 pound chicken, cut into thin strips
- 3 tsp. cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 cups pene rigate, uncooked
- 3 cups cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 - 1-1/2 cups tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Season chicken strips with 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning.
- Saute chicken in a large skillet with a lid in a little olive oil for five minutes.
- Add onion, pepper and broccoli and sauté for 10 minutes more.
- Mix in the garlic and sauté until the garlic just becomes fragrant.
- Add the uncooked pasta to the skillet along with 2-1/2 cups of the chicken stock.
- Bring to a low boil, cover and cook until pasta is al-dente, about 10 minutes.
- When pasta is al-dente, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock, heavy cream, parmesan cheese and remaining 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning.
- Add the tomatoes and serve.
- Add a little of the cajun seasoning at a time and taste as you go. Not all cajun seasonings have the same spice level.